When does No actually mean Yes?

When it comes to PC hardware and software I usually buy my stuff from eBuyer.com or Scan.co.uk, never from a smallish local company, and definitely never from PC World / Dixons / Currys and the like. But sadly, and as they say, there is always an exception to the rules, and today was the exception.

The story goes like this. A few weeks ago I quoted a price to somebody for a new system. The man said he is going on holiday, and when he is back, he will contact me. I did not think that I've got the job, oh well, some you win, some you lose, and thought nothing of it..

Yesterday, the man rings me, asking me for his new system. Oh shit, I really had nothing to show, so I thought I will just browse the internet for something suitable, preferably, already built and on the shelf. So I head towards PC World,  have a look what they have and order it for collection. So I did, and the PC was a shiny HP Compaq PC, and the only thing left, was collecting and paying for it.

So I print the: confirmation email, head toward the local PC World outlet, walk in, check on the shelf for stock availability, meet a sales rep, give him the printout. He asks me to wait, he walks over to another representative, whispers something in his ears, and they both start walking towards me.

Sales Rep 1 - Hi, this is John, he will look after you.

Me - Thank you.
Sales Rep 2 - I believe you are after the Compaq.
Me - Yes.
Sales Rep 2 - Do you know if we have any of these in - I don't think we have any left of these..
Me - I've seen 2 of these on the shelf, and it said that you had 2 in stock on the net.
Sales Re 2 - Have you seen the PC..
 Me - Yes, on display over there.
Sales Rep 2 - What about the monitor, it's not that good.
Me - I know, that's why I bought a 24" Monitor to use instead of the one supplied.
Sales Rep - From here?
Me - No, Scan...
Sales Rep 2 - What is the PC gonna be used for.
Me - I don't really know or care, its for a customer - I know they will be surfing the net and doing some DTP.
Sales Rep 2: - Well, you know that this PC has Windows 7 Home Premium.
Me - Yes.
Sales Rep 2 - I don't think this machine is suitable for what you need it for - As Windows 7 will slow it down,  and it will not be able to handle your programs until you upgrade the machine again,
Me - As I mentioned, the PC is not for me, and I don't really care whether it's fast or slow, and if it is so slow and bad, then why are you selling it...
Sales Rep 2 - No its not bad, its just not suitable for DTP
Me - If it did slow down, I can always replace the OS with a copy of Windows XP, now that will speed it up.
Sales Rep 2 - We do have an offer today for a very fast machine, you don't need to upgrade that and it will not slow down - and if you get this today, you will save over £400 on the price.
Me - So what OS does it have?
Sales Rep 2 - Windows 7 Home Premium.
Me - Exactly the same as the other Machine then,
Sales Rep 2 - Yes, but the machine has more Cores and more Ram.
Me - As I said, the machine is not really for me, and I don't really care...
Sales Rep 2 -  What will you do your DTP with, is it like MS Office, we are doing a special offer on that..
Me - No thank you, the customer will decide what to use or install.
Sales Rep 2 - What about security, you can have a copy of Norton 360, now that will really stop all those nasties & viruses.
Me - No thank you, there is no need for this, I will install a free anti-virus ...
Sales Rep 2 - I will just go and get your machine sir.
Me - Thank you...

This conversation went on and on and on for around 20 minutes, before the man would let me have the PC that I have ordered. I still don't know why I wasted so much time arguing with the Salesman about the suitability of a machine.. Besides, what has it got to do with him, and what or why I'm buying...

I know they need to maximize sales and profit, but the bottom line is this: I will not be buying anything from PC-World "EVER AGAIN"...

No comments:

Post a Comment