World Cup 2010 - South Africa

Holland just, unconvincingly, beaten Uruguay - 3-2 OK match - but the premise that we will all be treated to a repeat of the 1974 Germany vs Holland Final.  I was 11 at the time, and the game was one of the first Football Matches that I remember watching, I really wanted Holland to win, I loved the Orange Shirts, the Movement, the Flow of the Game, the Magic, the way they played, the 'total football' ideology, the exceptional talent of Johan Cruyff.  Sadly, they could not beat the Franz Beckenbauer inspired West German team, and they never earned any tangible recognition for their talents on the international stage.

I just hope that, this year it's theirs for the taking, and hopefully, avenge the events of 1974, and make the dreams of an 11 year old boy come true at last...

1 comment:

  1. I really wanted Germany to win, sadly Spain did. They managed to kill the game with their solid defence.

    I was talking to a friend and I told him that I wanted Germany to win, he said "Sometimes its better to get 2 teams that play different type of football" - An that's when it clicked - Holland and Germany do play the same type of Football.

    Never mind, there is always next time. Good luck Holland in the final..

    ReplyDelete