ICE, ICE BABY..

Today - a customer phoned me, they were having a problem with their home PC and asked me if I could go and check it.. I said OK...

The next day, I went there to check the offending PC - The first thing I noticed, was that, the house has gone "Bigger", it had acquired two or three houses either sides of the original property, a "New" Electric Gates, a "New" Surrounding Fence, a "New" Intercom System, a "New" Driveway, 2 "New, Shiny" Black 4 X 4 Vehicles with Tinted windows, and 2 "New" Small, Sporty, Vehicles and a Lowly Ice Cream Van - and while the property was a 2 Up/2 Down mid-terrace house last year, today it is a 6-8  Up/6-8 Down, with everything inside brand new and refurbished to an exacting standard... I'm not one for envy or anything like that, I don't really care much for money or material possessions, I'm happy if I have it, but its not the end of the world, if I don't, sort of, a bit like in idealistic John Lennon, without the money, the fame or the success, but with integrity..

I remember from the last visit, that the only person who had a job in the house was the father with a lowly banger of an Ice Cream Van.  I thought, he must be struggling, selling Ice Cream, because things did not look that promising at the time....


However, this time, you can tell that there was no money worries, so while chatting about the PC, I asked the man (me being nosy), if he still had the same job, and to my surprise, he said "yes"... So I left it at that, but thought "Things must be good in Ice Cream land" ...

Two weeks later, I was picking my daughter from School, I saw an Ice Cream Van parked outside. My daughter wanted an Ice Cream, so I said OK - I recognised the gentleman and noticed that people were paying a bit more for their Ice Cream than usual.. And they were ordering, what I can only assume to be, some very "Exotic", varieties of the stuff, in small packets... 

I got the Ice Cream and left, singing - ICE, ICE BABY.. - I'm really in the wrong job here...

No comments:

Post a Comment